History

Although the present church was rebuilt in 1959, our congregation goes back to 1886 when St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church was first established in Donald, BC. When Donald ceased to be a major railway town in 1899, the church moved to Golden. There St. Stephan’s Presbyterian Church in Field began about this time also and was dedicated in 1896. In 1896 Grace Methodist Church was erected in Golden.
With the formation of the United Church of Canada St. Andrew’s Presbyterian and Grace Methodist joined and worshipped in St. Andrew’s using Grace Church called then Grace Church Hall as their Christian Education building.
A shared Ministry with St. Andrew’s United, St. Paul’s Anglican, and St. Stephan’s in Field began in 1969 and was dissolved in 1980. In 1986 the Field Church was sold and some of the artifacts brought to Golden. The United Church people continue to be part of our congregation.
A two storey addition was added to the church giving us much needed additional space and accessibility. The upstairs provided a handicap accessible washroom and “The Upper Room” also used as a “Certified Community Kitchen”. The downstairs room is part of the Centre for Peace gathering spot used for meditation, meeting space, yoga and many other things.
St. Andrew’s United Church officially changed its name in February 2009 to St. Andrew’s United Church & Centre for Peace – a decision that reflects our commitment to peace.

Grace Methodist Church
Audrey (Sime) & Ron Roylance 1954
Photo provided by Golden & District Historical Society

Create your website at WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close